Thursday, December 3, 2009

Liberty and Justice for some.

Today the New York State Senate voted down a bill that would legalize gay marriage. I don’t understand what the big deal is honestly. If two people want to get married why should we stand in the way? I have to admit I don’t know a lot of gay people but I know a few and I don’t see how and why they are treated any differently then any body else. We can’t help or change our genetics any more then we can stop the sun from rising. To say you are doomed in life because of the way you were born, is the same bigoted mind state that helps nations oppress people through out history.
Being gay isn’t a choice. I am a firm believer in that. I didn’t wake up an say, hey I’m going to be heterosexual. I was born this way. I challenge any one to say they woke up and decided to be attracted to someone. I knew at an early age that I liked girls from as far as I can remember. And the few gay people that I have talked to say they had their feels, albeit most tried to suppress it because of religion and society constraints. I can’t imagine any one putting themselves in a situation to be discriminated against on purpose. Why would someone choose to be bullied, spit on, and made to be an outcast on purpose?

“I've always tried to analyze things because I want to be lawyer,” Will said. “I really don't feel that there's currently liberty and justice for all.”

This was said by a 10 year old who disagreed with the treatment of gays in this country so he decided not to stand for the pledge. I applaud this kid who made a decision not to dignify this hypocrisy. I didn’t stand for the pledge in school either. It didn’t make the headlines back then shows you how times have changed. This is what brave people do, they stand up for what they believe. I hate discrimination. And I am appalled by people that discriminate. That is way I didn’t stand the and thats why I'm taking a stand now. I will never take an oath or pledge of hypocrisy. It doesn’t matter if you aren’t gay. What matters is we have no right to tell someone how they should live their lives.

The vote was 38-24. All 30 Republicans voted against. The latest polls show 51 in favor and 42 opposed. New York politics at it’s best.

To Be Continued…..

1 comment:

  1. I find it disgusting that people are allowed to hide their bigotry behind religon. If I created a religion that hated women would I be allowed to spew my hate across America? If I created a religion that hated people with different skin colors, would I be able to introduce legislation meant solely to make their lives more miserable?

    Of course not, on both counts. So why do we allow the religious idiots to present their hate as a viable religious belief?

    So the next time someone tells you that they don't believe in gay marriage for "religious reasons", call them a fucking bigot and walk away.

    ReplyDelete